Got my first second hand mountain bike

John273
It's a diamondback recoil 2017, with a dnm rear air shock instead of the coil it originally came with. The owner barely rode it, I'm not too sure why I didn't want to ask. The tires still have those things you would see on new bikes on the sides. I weigh 130lb and he weighs more than 200lb I'm assuming, so when I went to sit on the shock it didn't compress unless I bounced my weight on it. He told me I just needed to adjust the sag for my weight but I'm just a little bit worried. I did order a shock pump, which is coming next week. I tested the lockout, and when I tried to compress it, the shock sorta acted the same way it did with the lockout off but at the same time, I did my best to try to compress it and from reading reviews people say the lockout works but it's not 100%. So far I'm not going to mess with it, until my shock pump comes. Lastly the front shock won't sag even on the lowest pre-load setting. But I can compress it, and when I compress it hard I hear the coil make noise or something.

I looked over the bike, only things that I saw were the front disc brake rubbing against the caliper which I fixed, the rear brake screeches, and there are tiny knicks on the linkage where you wouldn't expect there to be any.

Is there anything else I should check to make sure the bike is fine?

I bought the bike for $360, I didn't get ripped?
|
sspomer
Fantasy
105th
1/29/2018 8:31am
hey john, thanks for posting the question.

here's a great suspension set-up video that can help you
https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/How-To-Mountain-Bike-Suspensio…

since you have an air shock out back, like the original owner said, you just need to adjust sag...that just means you put the appropriate amount of air pressure in the shock for your weight. generally speaking sag will be 25-35% depending on the bike and the model. you'll have to see if diamondback has a recommendation for that model. you're on the right path by getting a shock pump.

lock out on most suspension will usually allow some movement, it won't feel fully rigid, so that would seem ok.

if you have a coil spring in your fork and it's not sagging or only takes a really big hit to make it move, you'll probably need a lighter spring (assuming the fork is working as it should be on the inside).

good work on fixing the caliper rub. the screeching out back may be fixed by adjusting the caliper a bit (but not guaranteed). give it a try. just make sure all the other bolts are appropriately tight on the bike and everything is lubed and you should be good to go. considering the retail price on the bike, it seems like you got a pretty good deal.
we have a lot of other how-to videos here that may help you out - https://www.vitalmtb.com/how-to
John273
1/29/2018 12:35pm
sspomer wrote:
hey john, thanks for posting the question. here's a great suspension set-up video that can help you https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/How-To-Mountain-Bike-Suspension-Set-Up-with-Arts-Cyclery,25453/sspomer,2 since you have an air shock out back...
hey john, thanks for posting the question.

here's a great suspension set-up video that can help you
https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/How-To-Mountain-Bike-Suspensio…

since you have an air shock out back, like the original owner said, you just need to adjust sag...that just means you put the appropriate amount of air pressure in the shock for your weight. generally speaking sag will be 25-35% depending on the bike and the model. you'll have to see if diamondback has a recommendation for that model. you're on the right path by getting a shock pump.

lock out on most suspension will usually allow some movement, it won't feel fully rigid, so that would seem ok.

if you have a coil spring in your fork and it's not sagging or only takes a really big hit to make it move, you'll probably need a lighter spring (assuming the fork is working as it should be on the inside).

good work on fixing the caliper rub. the screeching out back may be fixed by adjusting the caliper a bit (but not guaranteed). give it a try. just make sure all the other bolts are appropriately tight on the bike and everything is lubed and you should be good to go. considering the retail price on the bike, it seems like you got a pretty good deal.
we have a lot of other how-to videos here that may help you out - https://www.vitalmtb.com/how-to
Thank you for the help.

Also I hear that bottoming out is bad for shocks, not sure if it applies to coils as well. But with this bike what limitations would you say I should be aware of when riding?

I live in an area where there are a lot of activities such as dirt jump parks, trails that feature bits of technical and free ride but not entirely, and then there are XC trails.

Some trails feature 4ft drops, and if I can get up to speed maybe even higher, and then there are the dirt ramps at the local dirt jump park. Should I avoid those with this bike until I upgrade the front shock or even rear too? I don't want to do anything that will wear out the components at an alarming rate, then have to replace them. I don't see a sticker on the shocks with suntours warning of not using it for hard riding and such.

Post a reply to: Got my first second hand mountain bike

The Latest