Formula hubs - replacing bearings

Falcon
OK guys, I have a question. I have a Commencal Meta 4.2 which came with WTB wheels and Formula hubs. (Decent, but not great.) It's time to swap out the bearings, as they have developed a noticeable amount of play. I can grab the seatstays and wiggle the wheel back & forth.

I've removed the cassette and freehub, and now I can see the bearing cartridges. The only thing is, I don't know how to get the center axle out. (Through axle.) What next? Tap it out? Am I missing something? There do not appear to be any more ways to unscrew anything.
|
Heist30
10/20/2020 7:13pm
Falcon, what did you figure out on this? What is the engagement on this Formula rear hub?
Falcon
10/21/2020 1:47pm
The bearings are pressed in pretty tightly and I could not get them out. I gave them a few good whacks but I did not want to destroy the wheel build, either.
As it turns out, I discovered hairline cracks in the rims near the spokes too, so I'm just going to buy a new wheelset and call it a day.
rockchomper
10/21/2020 1:58pm
I hear the Spank 359 is a super strong wheel and its also a pretty good price! havent tested it myself yet but, My 359 rear wheel should be arriving this week!
Big Bird
10/21/2020 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 7:08pm
Most modern hubs have cartridge bearings which are generally a press fit. once any impediments are out of the way it's usually about tapping or better yet slowly pressing on the axle and only the axle, to push the opposite bearing out. Then pressing the other. Most bike shops have sweet kits of tools to do it. But a set of sockets works wonders as a bearing press.

Post a reply to: Formula hubs - replacing bearings

The Latest