Do you NEED to be a good moto rider to be a great DH rider?

Related:
astrizzle
Fantasy
3697th
Back in the day when Palmer and Gwin blew everyone's minds by crossing over from moto to DH and doing so well, it probably put a seed into the head of the best DH riders at the time: Do I HAVE to start getting good at motocross if I want to be as good as Gwin on a DH bike? Nowadays I see pretty much the whole top 20 DH world cup riders are all very good on their dirt bikes, maybe not "pro level" but good enough to risk their DH careers by hitting huge transfers, 60 ft gaps and gnarly whoop sections at high speeds in training. My question is, if you want to get into DH at a top level, do you NEED to also risk serious injury by getting really good at moto as well? I'm a sports medicine professional and I know you may be able to replicate the workout of a motocross session in the gym but there is soo much more to it that you can't replicate in any gym (crossfart or otherwise). Is it even possible to be a top level DH rider withOUT also being a really good moto rider these days?
Poll

Can you make it in the WC downhill circuit without being above average on a motocross bike?

Choices
|
sspomer
Fantasy
66th
6/3/2021 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2021 1:10pm
rad question! (lol crossfart).

here's this for fun too

Eoin
Fantasy
42nd
6/3/2021 1:55pm
I remember an interview with Rachel Atherton saying she was trying to convince the other DH girls to get into moto (presumably more enduro style moto than MX), because it was such a huge help physically and to be process the speeds. So definitely something to it, seems like one of the best cross training sports.

That being said, i'm not sure "being above average at moto" is accurate for a bunch of the top DH guys including dudes beating Gwin, only a handful put in enough time as far as I can tell to actually have decent skills.

I know a lot of the mtb enduro frenchies don't really ride moto all that much, and many of them could get a top 20 in WC DH with some prep.
Big Bird
6/3/2021 3:04pm
I think being a DH rider helped me to learn Moto faster, but I did it in that order and didn't really see any post Moto improvement.
LukeD
Fantasy
2202nd
6/3/2021 3:14pm
I haven't been on a moto in over 10 years but the thing I noticed was getting used to the speed of a moto then going back to a DH bike everything felt slower (because it was) and the bike really felt like a toy and less stable. Like Big Bird pointed out, the same happened to me as well. I felt comfortable on the moto quicker because of my DH background but I'm not sure it improved anything on the DH side for me.
Aksel_Lfft
6/3/2021 3:21pm
Big Bird wrote:
I think being a DH rider helped me to learn Moto faster, but I did it in that order and didn't really see any post Moto...
I think being a DH rider helped me to learn Moto faster, but I did it in that order and didn't really see any post Moto improvement.
That's what I was about to say. I think beside Gwin and Palmer (and maybe few others), it's the other way around. The skills and strengths they have developped in DH has helped them getting up to speed quicker in MX. We are talking about people that look on a mountain bike like they are coming from another planet ! However, I think it does indeed help in their preparation (also due to the fact they can practice it during winter)
LukeD
Fantasy
2202nd
6/3/2021 3:34pm
Also I want to add to the conversation as I found it interesting... driving a rally car. There's a cross over there as well that we're seeing. When I was up at Team O'Neil, that was definitely something that was brought up. Driving a rally car doesn't make you a better downhill rider however riding DH makes you a better rally driver to start with. It comes down to understanding the mechanics behind weight transfer and how it relates to grip. Obviously on a moto or DH bike, riders are more sensitive to it and understand it better.
astrizzle
Fantasy
3697th
6/3/2021 11:46pm
Never thought of the rally car angle, I would for sure get into that if I had some extra money laying around!
Eoin
Fantasy
42nd
6/4/2021 1:06am
Great point about rally, i think a lot of the top guys in these sports just have a really good feel for grip and line choice overall. Many people know Nico Vouilloz has numerous rally championship wins at a very high level, but do you know he is also the French Remote Controlled rally driver champion!
SB14
6/4/2021 3:36am
I don't know anything about moto from a personal perspective, but I think that practicing going fast, i. e. looking further ahead must be an advantage to DH. And aslo handling a bigger(heavier) bike, you would think has some strenght gains.

brash
6/4/2021 10:26pm
I ride moto still (I still suck) but some of my moto friends have come on mtb rides and borrowed my other bikes, they were like ducks to water on the trails. The speed of processing info/terrain on a moto is incredible.

The sports effeminately have interchangeable benefits to each other.
jeff.brines
6/5/2021 5:36am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2021 5:40am
These days you don't need moto experience at all to make it to the WC level, but its always helped.

I'd argue the new crop of riders who never rode moto but did spend "a few summers at Whistler/Morzine" or similar are just as well off. The bikes are good, the bike parks (often) good too. Handlebar time is easy to come by.

Back in the day, the bikes sucked and bike parks didn't really exist. It was tough to figure out how to translate XC bike handling to the DH bike. This is why all the best racers on the gravity side had moto and BMX skills driving their results. It was also tough to really get the handlebar time in where you are processing things fast, getting arm pump and learning how to corner a bike with a 63 deg HTA bla bla bla. Plus, even if you lived by angelfire or something, you'd better have a box van full of parts to keep your rig running for days on end. Wheels, suspension & even frames didn't hold up.

In the early 2000s, Outside a handful of resorts, nobody offered lift service and shuttlable trails tough to come by unless you were "in the know". In this era, you could literally draw a line on the results sheet. Above that line were the riders who rode moto or had the background in moto, below were the nerds like me who didn't.

Everyone here knows this, but ever since I picked up a moto in 2018 a lot has clicked with me, both physically on the bike and technologically; seeing where things are likely to go from a handling perspective.

I've ridden more moto than mtb this season. My local gravity "test track" just dried out yesterday. My first top to bottom lap was my fastest ever, by a good margin. At 36, i would have assumed my fastest laps are behind me but I'm still getting faster. Yes, bikes are better, but that hasn't changed for me since 2019. The only thing that has changed is my time on a motorized dirt scooter.

Considering how much money people spend on stupid shit for their bikes, buying an old YZ250/KTM 300XC (or similar) and learning to ride it is likely the best thing most mountain bikers could do. I know, most don't live in a place where riding is all that accessible. But if you do, don't be an idiot like me and put it off for years.

Aksel_Lfft
6/5/2021 10:55am
Eoin wrote:
Great point about rally, i think a lot of the top guys in these sports just have a really good feel for grip and line choice...
Great point about rally, i think a lot of the top guys in these sports just have a really good feel for grip and line choice overall. Many people know Nico Vouilloz has numerous rally championship wins at a very high level, but do you know he is also the French Remote Controlled rally driver champion!
He also quite invented the tires "cross mounting" during Monte Carlo rally. Basically putting 2 snow tires and 2 road tires but in diagonal (for ex: front left rear / right snow tires and front right / left rear road tires). The guy has some magic when it comes to setting up his machines Smile
6/6/2021 9:04am
These days you don't need moto experience at all to make it to the WC level, but its always helped. I'd argue the new crop of...
These days you don't need moto experience at all to make it to the WC level, but its always helped.

I'd argue the new crop of riders who never rode moto but did spend "a few summers at Whistler/Morzine" or similar are just as well off. The bikes are good, the bike parks (often) good too. Handlebar time is easy to come by.

Back in the day, the bikes sucked and bike parks didn't really exist. It was tough to figure out how to translate XC bike handling to the DH bike. This is why all the best racers on the gravity side had moto and BMX skills driving their results. It was also tough to really get the handlebar time in where you are processing things fast, getting arm pump and learning how to corner a bike with a 63 deg HTA bla bla bla. Plus, even if you lived by angelfire or something, you'd better have a box van full of parts to keep your rig running for days on end. Wheels, suspension & even frames didn't hold up.

In the early 2000s, Outside a handful of resorts, nobody offered lift service and shuttlable trails tough to come by unless you were "in the know". In this era, you could literally draw a line on the results sheet. Above that line were the riders who rode moto or had the background in moto, below were the nerds like me who didn't.

Everyone here knows this, but ever since I picked up a moto in 2018 a lot has clicked with me, both physically on the bike and technologically; seeing where things are likely to go from a handling perspective.

I've ridden more moto than mtb this season. My local gravity "test track" just dried out yesterday. My first top to bottom lap was my fastest ever, by a good margin. At 36, i would have assumed my fastest laps are behind me but I'm still getting faster. Yes, bikes are better, but that hasn't changed for me since 2019. The only thing that has changed is my time on a motorized dirt scooter.

Considering how much money people spend on stupid shit for their bikes, buying an old YZ250/KTM 300XC (or similar) and learning to ride it is likely the best thing most mountain bikers could do. I know, most don't live in a place where riding is all that accessible. But if you do, don't be an idiot like me and put it off for years.

I've been thinking about something very similar, but in regards to BMXs and hardtails rather than motocross bikes. I recently got a dirt jump hardtail for a Velosolutions pumptrack that opened up in my area and I was struck by how many 'reps' you can get in. If you spend a few hours at a pumptrack, you can get 100ish 25-30 second laps in. It's very similar at a set of dirt jumps. That's a lot of handlebar time (~50mins). Sure it's not DH, but pumping, cornering, jumping, and reading terrain are all transferable skills. You'd be hard-pressed to get that much time in at most bike parks (50 min is like 16-17 3-min runs).

Having not ridden motocross, it's hard for me to say for sure, but it seems like the same principle applies - unless you live somewhere with a lift, or pedal up a lot of hills on your enduro bike, its going to be hard to log the hours necessary to develop top-level skills. Motocross, BMX, or riding a jump bike all provide a vehicle to develop different but transferable skills, as well as a lot of hours on a bike. It seems to me that that's a big part of it - logging the hours, especially at a young age.
bulletbass man
Fantasy
169th
6/6/2021 10:14am
I think In the current/past generation those that came from a moto/bmx background where more devoloped
From both a skills/mental side then those who only mtb’d. I think as time goes on cross training will
Still be utilized. But the top mtb guys will be on mtbs at a young age and you will see less “latecomers”.
Big Bird
6/6/2021 6:15pm
I think In the current/past generation those that came from a moto/bmx background where more devoloped From both a skills/mental side then those who only mtb’d...
I think In the current/past generation those that came from a moto/bmx background where more devoloped
From both a skills/mental side then those who only mtb’d. I think as time goes on cross training will
Still be utilized. But the top mtb guys will be on mtbs at a young age and you will see less “latecomers”.
Good point man. Seat time is seat time. Or bar time I guess. If you learn to MTB from the cradle you're gonna be real good and Moto experience is mostly good for cross training.
6/6/2021 10:06pm
With the increased speeds you see on the dirt bike (on a track especially), come much bigger injures. Motos are for sure fun, and increase the fitness & skill level on a bike, but stick to trails if you wanna at least try to stay in one piece. Three people I know have died on moto tracks within the last 2 years. Aging from 16yo to 45yo, all very experienced, it's no joke.

That's the reason Gwinner took up pedal bikes in the first place...less injuries. Remember?
Darth_Sloth
6/7/2021 2:21am
Super interesting question! Do we have a list of the riders that crossed from decent level of moto racing to a successful mtb carrier (thinking at a fairly old age, i.e Gwin)? Off the top of my head I can only think of:

Gwin
Palmer
Reece Wilson
Elliot Heap
Josh Calson

Would be interesting to see a more filled out list to get an idea of how well those guys do though.

Post a reply to: Do you NEED to be a good moto rider to be a great DH rider?

The Latest