Buying an mtb frame in Germany

Verbl Kint
I might need to travel to Germany in the coming weeks for work (mainly Dortmund, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt). I am looking at a possible mtb frame purchase, perhaps a Propain Spindrift (mullet) or the new Canyon Torque (Vital review here). Other recommendations would be most welcome, btw. Preferred reach length is about 450mm.

Is it actually cheaper to get a frame from a German company in Germany? Or would it be cheaper to source this from a reseller in the Asia-Pacific region (since these are likely manufactured in Taiwan anyway)?

|
Karabuka
Fantasy
3114th
5/6/2022 4:47am
Never heard of anyone importing a reputable frame from Asia, you would have to deal with the customs and if you happen to claim a warranty this sounds like a nightmare to deal with...
Germany also has decent market of used bikes, you might want to check https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/ for that.
Real problem right now would be finding a bike in stock, a friend has ordered Tyee last year and she was supposed to be riding it already but the curent delivery time is unknown!
Verbl Kint
5/8/2022 11:23pm
I'm really keen on getting brand new instead of used but the stock situation is concerning.

Thanks for the advice!
nollak
Fantasy
1185th
5/9/2022 2:29am
Last Glen could be an option. But I think stock situation is also difficult.
Verbl Kint
6/3/2022 2:14am
David Assfalg, Propain CEO, released a statement a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/update-on-the-current-situation

Dear PROPAIN customers, mountain bikers, e-mountain bikers and bike friends!

It is time for an update regarding our delivery situation.

We have never had a situation like this at PROPAIN and neither expected nor guessed.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the delivery situation since our last statement. The Ukraine conflict is further impacting production capacity by causing shortages of key raw materials. In addition, the ongoing lockdown in China is having a major impact on freight traffic, which has virtually collapsed.

Delivery dates already firmly promised by manufacturers of all kinds are still being postponed, canceled, or simply not met. We are often informed only one day before shipment. This is exactly what makes the situation escalate and makes our life really hard.

We do not build bikes off the shelf. So, it is not enough for us to coordinate and stock 100 forks from a single model, one type of brake or one shift group. No, we need to source various combinations so that we can offer your individual configurations.

PROPAIN has not been professional and proactive in communicating with its customers in recent weeks. For this I want to apologize personally. This is not our way and not our claim. It is not easy to manage this constantly changing complex situation.
Every day the bad news from our suppliers catches up with us, and we have not been able to keep you updated on your orders as fast as we would expect.

In addition, we are tapping into all sorts of other sources to procure materials. We are working hard to find individual solutions for you and to improve communication. Our customer service team will continue to be upgraded and there will be a solution for everyone.

My team and I will do everything we can to keep you informed in the most transparent way possible. We want to get back to our performance that convinced so many of you to buy a bike from us.

Thank you for your trust and patience so far. We will do our best to deliver your bike as soon as possible.

David Assfalg
CEO PROPAIN Bicycles GmbH

A Tyee or Spindrift was on my shortlist of bikes to get so it looks like getting a brand new one won't be possible now. Sad
Mwood
Fantasy
2898th
6/3/2022 8:49am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2022 8:50am
I used to bring Santa Cruz bikes from the US into Germany and sell them after beating them up for a 25%+ over US used prices. No longer the case, but I am considering trying that with my Pivot.

Last would be dope. My suggestion is to reach out directly to the small brands and see if you can work something out. The only issue is taxes. Euro/Germany like to follow tax laws and buying a new frame only then bringing it home might make it challenging. Might have to say the frame is 'used' to get around some of that.
I am thinking reaching out to the small German companies and asking to buy a 'show' bike might be smart.

Also, aren't Propain bikes coming to the US soon? I don't think you will find much savings buying a bike in Germany from a big manufacturer, might even be more $ after conversion and VAT.
RandmRider87
6/3/2022 9:13am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2022 9:13am
Mwood wrote:
I used to bring Santa Cruz bikes from the US into Germany and sell them after beating them up for a 25%+ over US used prices...
I used to bring Santa Cruz bikes from the US into Germany and sell them after beating them up for a 25%+ over US used prices. No longer the case, but I am considering trying that with my Pivot.

Last would be dope. My suggestion is to reach out directly to the small brands and see if you can work something out. The only issue is taxes. Euro/Germany like to follow tax laws and buying a new frame only then bringing it home might make it challenging. Might have to say the frame is 'used' to get around some of that.
I am thinking reaching out to the small German companies and asking to buy a 'show' bike might be smart.

Also, aren't Propain bikes coming to the US soon? I don't think you will find much savings buying a bike in Germany from a big manufacturer, might even be more $ after conversion and VAT.
Propain is already here in the states, in Vancouver, Washington. Across the river from Portland is their U.S. HQ
tybez
10/20/2024 10:41am

What did you end up doing? I'm going to visit Germany soon. My friend suggested buying a bike there. Does anyone know a good shipping company that can send it to the USA?

andjo
10/20/2024 10:45am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2024 12:03am
tybez wrote:
What did you end up doing? I'm going to visit Germany soon. My friend suggested buying a bike there. Does anyone know a good shipping company...

What did you end up doing? I'm going to visit Germany soon. My friend suggested buying a bike there. Does anyone know a good shipping company that can send it to the USA?

I was in Germany last year and loved every minute! Buying a bike sounds like a great idea. I recommend checking out ecms express for shipping. They offer reliable international services and are known for their efficiency. But make sure to compare prices and read reviews in advance. 

Post a reply to: Buying an mtb frame in Germany

The Latest