Dirt jumper vs BMX

rockchomper
I'm looking into getting a Dj or BMX hoping the cross training make me a better rider on the DH bike and give me something to do when i cant find someone to shuttle with. so two questions,

will a DJ or BMX make for good cross training and have some transferable benefits to DH?

#2 if so would I benefit more from a BMX or DJ? I'd prefer a BMX because they are significantly cheaper but if it'll do more harm to my progression id be willing to pay extra for a DJ.

|
Big Bird
9/6/2022 3:36pm
Any kind of hardtail riding will benefit your DH riding, in my opinion at least. It's also my opinion that a DJ bike is better for cross training because it's less of a size difference. If you're riding a BMX bike between races, all hunched over and short wheelbase, it's a much bigger change when switching back to the DH bike.
trpfanboy
Fantasy
3689th
9/6/2022 4:27pm
both would be great! a bmx will humble you for sure, but once you get used to it, maneuvering the testy 20 inch wheels will make the dh feel amazing. I think you will have a quicker time getting used to the dirt jumper, as the wheel size difference is much smaller, but both are fun and great for bike handling/reflex training. hope this helps!
owl-x
Fantasy
436th
9/6/2022 10:13pm
Merely entertaining this question means you should absolutely not get a bmx bike.
rockchomper
9/7/2022 9:42am
owl-x wrote:
Merely entertaining this question means you should absolutely not get a bmx bike.
Man thats tough , I can save so much money if I go BMX, I don't really care if its harder as long as it will still benefit me as a rider overall. Ya'll make the DJ sound like the right choice but I found a couple good BMX bikes at my local shop for $350 new and the cheapest DJ I can find even used has been $1,200. so I guess my question is would it be worth the extra $850 (keep in mind I have to buy two because my wife rides DH with me aswell and wants more cross training too)
kcy4130
9/7/2022 10:24am
I'd go for bmx. They can take a lot of abuse for a lot less money. Easier to fix and find parts. Less expenditure to try something new that you might not like or do for long. Big Bird is correct, tho. Honestly for dj prices I'd be more inclined to get a trail/am hardtail for the same cost, the base model canyon stoic for example.
LopaGross
9/7/2022 11:23am
I've tried both at different points over the past few years. I've pretty much settled on BMX, though, due to the price difference and simplicity. I've gone brakeless and found that has helped a lot with cornering and being more comfortable at higher speeds on the mountain bike. That said, it generally takes around a half-mile or so to get comfortable on the bigger bike if I've gone through a stretch of mostly BMX. I was able to ride more terrain and go longer distances on the DJ, which made it more helpful with the endurance side of crosstraining.
rockchomper
9/7/2022 11:49am
Thanks that helps alot, im gonna go BMX due to price and It seems that both will be so different from a DH it doesnt matter cuz there will be an adjustment period anyways and what Bird said makes sense, time on anything without rear suspension will help me become a better DH rider. looks like with Snow summit burning I may be getting the bike sooner than I thought!
owl-x
Fantasy
436th
9/7/2022 2:41pm
Thanks that helps alot, im gonna go BMX due to price and It seems that both will be so different from a DH it doesnt matter...
Thanks that helps alot, im gonna go BMX due to price and It seems that both will be so different from a DH it doesnt matter cuz there will be an adjustment period anyways and what Bird said makes sense, time on anything without rear suspension will help me become a better DH rider. looks like with Snow summit burning I may be getting the bike sooner than I thought!
doodahdoo, doo doo, another one bites the dust!

You're going to get broke off. BMX bikes are for BMXers. Obviously it's your choice to make, but I fear the time spent off bikes of all types won't be worth any gains you realize before you're smokified. Condolences in advance, and check back in if you need any tips on living with one arm...actually hey, the first one's free: you can use an egg carton to hold a tomato while you cut it.

rockchomper
9/8/2022 8:03am
Thanks that helps alot, im gonna go BMX due to price and It seems that both will be so different from a DH it doesnt matter...
owl-x wrote:
doodahdoo, doo doo, another one bites the dust! You're going to get broke off. BMX bikes are for BMXers. Obviously it's your choice to make, but...

You're going to get broke off. BMX bikes are for BMXers. Obviously it's your choice to make, but I fear the time spent off bikes of all types won't be worth any gains you realize before you're smokified. Condolences in advance, and check back in if you need any tips on living with one arm...actually hey, the first one's free: you can use an egg carton to hold a tomato while you cut it.

First off I get broke off on a DH already so im not to worried about that! im not a bad rider but you know it comes with riding DH, I mean just ask Minnar about his back...... too soon?...... all jokes aside Im not sure your right man. Most of the best riders at Snow summit seem to ride BMX or started with a BMX background. I met Anthony Neapolitan at the park this weekend and that dude was on another level on the DH. I understand he's Pro but alot of local kids who rip who also ride BMX soo im gonna stick with Big Bird on this one I think it will help. All that said I understand it may be Humbling.
9/8/2022 9:13am
Whoever mentioned a budget trail hardtail made a good point. A hardtail with the dropper post down can be a lot of fun at local dirt jumps and pump tracks, and also give you an option for trail riding if you ever want a break from the downhill bike (or if your downhill bike is broken/being serviced/etc). You'd still get a lot of the skills benefits but it would be more versatile than either a dedicated dirt jumper or a BMX bike.

That said, any of them would be fun and worthwhile.
owl-x
Fantasy
436th
9/8/2022 9:23pm
Your decision making process is fascinating.

I wish you well on your endeavors!
rockchomper
9/9/2022 11:50am
owl-x wrote:

Not being sarcastic, or trying to start an argument with this question just trying to see what I am missing? what is wrong with the decision process? What am I missing?
hogfly
Fantasy
855th
9/10/2022 7:40am
Sounds like your decision is already made. My kid switches pretty effortlessly between all his bikes, but as an old man, I find the DJ MUCH easier to ride than a BMX. That being said, my kid has now pretty much settled on his BMX for all his park, street and dirt jump riding.

And yes, it will make you a better rider.
rockchomper
9/10/2022 8:20am
hogfly wrote:
Sounds like your decision is already made. My kid switches pretty effortlessly between all his bikes, but as an old man, I find the DJ MUCH...
Sounds like your decision is already made. My kid switches pretty effortlessly between all his bikes, but as an old man, I find the DJ MUCH easier to ride than a BMX. That being said, my kid has now pretty much settled on his BMX for all his park, street and dirt jump riding.

And yes, it will make you a better rider.
Sounds good man, this forum helped me make my choice thanks to all!
owl-x
Fantasy
436th
9/11/2022 11:14am
owl-x wrote:

Not being sarcastic, or trying to start an argument with this question just trying to see what I am missing? what is wrong with the decision...
Not being sarcastic, or trying to start an argument with this question just trying to see what I am missing? what is wrong with the decision process? What am I missing?
I’d say you’ve mixed up correlation and causation, when it comes to bmx and mtb skills.

I guess your decision making process is sound, asking a niche mtb message board for opinions, sorry about the word choice…it’s your decision that’s wrong lol

Time on any bike will help on on every bike. Good luck out there!
rockchomper
11/10/2022 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2022 3:49pm
owl-x wrote:
doodahdoo, doo doo, another one bites the dust! You're going to get broke off. BMX bikes are for BMXers. Obviously it's your choice to make, but...

https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/360

well I have been on the BMX for a few weeks now and it has tremendously helped my jumping. I would recommend it to anyone looking to work the kinks out of their technique. I will say a dirt jumper would be slightly better cross training but for the financial savings and skills I have gained from the BMX bike I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it for cross training. Now my biggest problem is how do I find time to do MTB and BMX 🤣 

Wamp Rat
11/17/2022 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2022 1:52pm

Transitioning back and forth from BMX to MTB can be rather difficult as the geometry is so vastly different. On a BMX, BB height above the axles, mega steep head angle and short chainstays makes them a different beast entirely. The more you ride both the less of an issue it will be. Don't go thinking you can't get a BMX, you definitely can, it just requires some extra time if you don't have experience with them. 

I always found I needed to relearn how to ride a BMX each time, which became tedious with adult life so I went for a DJ bike and threw in some 24" wheels so I don't buzz my arse too much. Perfect for me AND having disc brakes means I'm not shit scared if i wanna fufanu a back rail.

A good medium would be a 22" wheeled BMX like the United KF22, as they're a little slacker, longer, and the BB is closer to the axles. AND they're as cheap as a regular BMX.

Regarding people with "BMX backgrounds" being better at jumping etc. it's not because they grew up riding BMX bikes, it's because they grew up riding bikes. BMX bikes are generally just what kids would start on. There's people equally as good with "Dirt jumper backgrounds" or "trials backgrounds" or even just "spending a lot of time working on bike control techniques on you MTB backgrounds".

TL;DR: Use any bike you want to spend as much time as you can developing bike control skills and you will be rewarded.

Also, nice 360!

rockchomper
11/18/2022 8:24pm
Wamp Rat wrote:
Transitioning back and forth from BMX to MTB can be rather difficult as the geometry is so vastly different. On a BMX, BB height above the...

Transitioning back and forth from BMX to MTB can be rather difficult as the geometry is so vastly different. On a BMX, BB height above the axles, mega steep head angle and short chainstays makes them a different beast entirely. The more you ride both the less of an issue it will be. Don't go thinking you can't get a BMX, you definitely can, it just requires some extra time if you don't have experience with them. 

I always found I needed to relearn how to ride a BMX each time, which became tedious with adult life so I went for a DJ bike and threw in some 24" wheels so I don't buzz my arse too much. Perfect for me AND having disc brakes means I'm not shit scared if i wanna fufanu a back rail.

A good medium would be a 22" wheeled BMX like the United KF22, as they're a little slacker, longer, and the BB is closer to the axles. AND they're as cheap as a regular BMX.

Regarding people with "BMX backgrounds" being better at jumping etc. it's not because they grew up riding BMX bikes, it's because they grew up riding bikes. BMX bikes are generally just what kids would start on. There's people equally as good with "Dirt jumper backgrounds" or "trials backgrounds" or even just "spending a lot of time working on bike control techniques on you MTB backgrounds".

TL;DR: Use any bike you want to spend as much time as you can developing bike control skills and you will be rewarded.

Also, nice 360!

Dude well said! I think that’s a great way to explain it! Yes getting back on the big bike feels super super weird but after about 3-4 laps I’m back to normal ish and if I ride Saturday then Sunday on Sunday I’m %100 so I’m pretty much gonna use the bmx for off season training and days when I can’t find a shuttle partner. But definitely happy with my investment and I do believe it’s helped me a ton on the DH bike!

Post a reply to: Dirt jumper vs BMX

The Latest